Start looking for an internship today!
PLEASE VISIT THE INTERN RESOURCES PAGE TO DOWNLOAD A LEARNING CONTRACT.
NEW SPRING OPPORTUNITIES:
- HABITAT FOR HUMANITY (retail store on Swift Street) Promote reusing materials; help run a new green business; and participate in store outreach efforts.
- UCSC SITE STEWARDSHIP PROGRAM Participate in restoration of native coastal scrub, trail maintenance and invasive plant removal.
- STUDENT ENVIRONMENTAL CENTER Take part in the “Blueprint for a Sustainable Campus” initiative; College Eight Garden internship; and an opportunity to learn outreach and media strategies.
- ECOLOGICAL RIGHTS FOUNDATION is a non-profit organization dedicated to preserving and protecting California’s coastal environment through research, education and the enforcement of environmental laws.
- INTERACTIVE ECOLOGY Work within the California Native Plant Conservation Program in the UC Santa Cruz Arboretum.
- ENTOMOLOGY LAB Help to assist integrated pest management research! Learn about predator prey relations, life cycles of pests and their interaction with the environment, and sustainable approaches to pest management.
- SPROUT UP Teach 1st/2nd graders environmental science and sustainability! Weekly volunteer commitment, per quarter. All grades and majors welcome!
- WEST CLIFF ECOSYSTEM RESTORATION Enhance coastal ecosystems through community-based restoration, education, and science.
- FRIENDS OF THE COMMUNITY AGROECOLOGY NETWORK (FOCAN) FOCAN is an environmental justice and sustainability based student organization that holds dialogue around the disadvantages of global commodities and seek local solutions for a more fair and sustainable food system
UCSC Environmental Studies Students intern for a variety of local, state, national and international organizations. These organizations and businesses include educational, agricultural, non-profit, for-profit, government and non-government internship positions. Many of our more than 120 internships can be found on our Available Internships page.
Our Placements make the news:
"Every year, hundreds of UCSC student interns and volunteers do important work in the community that surrounds them," writes Peggy Townsend for the UCSC Newsroom. She goes on to share: "Over the past four quarters, for example, nearly 700 UCSC environmental studies interns have contributed close to 60,000 hours of work to nonprofits, businesses, and government in the Santa Cruz area." -
Internships and your education:
Internships allow students to apply the concepts and theories they learn about in academic settings to workplace settings. As an intern, you can see how people relate with one another, test out the theories learned in classes, and observe the inner workings of the work environment in a myriad of different fields and disciplines. Work done outside the classroom brings new depth and meaning to the work done inside the classroom, and enlightens the student to the importance of their academic work. Internships can be as much about finding out what you really like as encountering what it is you do not like.
Help you define your interests:
Many students look at internships as a way to confirm their interest in a given field or discipline. An internship is a way to "taste" a type of work before you've committed to graduate school or working in a full-time position. Internship experiences can help you hone in on your area(s) of interest and focus on the type of work for which you are best suited for and work that you find most interesting.
The Environmental Studies Internship Office is committed to providing students with the necessary resources for finding the best placement for each student.
Interested? You can start the process by communicating directly with the agency, or emailing our office. You can also drop by the office during the hours posted if you would like a more thorough explanation. We placed students in more than 400 internships this past year. And, perhaps we have one waiting for you too!
Monday, Wednesday: 10am-5pm
Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 10am-4pm
No appointment necessary!
Office Email: firstname.lastname@example.org