Can You Handle the ENVS Walk-about??
- GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION SYSTEMS Barry Nickel (firstname.lastname@example.org)--Loc
ated in the ISB Room 486 (Interdisciplinary Science Building), the teaching facility is primarily used for Environmental Studies 115A, GIS and Environmental Applications. Geographic Information System is a system of capturing, storing, analyzing data that are spatially referenced to the earth.
- ENVS MUSEUM Chris Lay—( email@example.com)-- Tucked into a small room on the second floor of 249 Natural Sciences2, the UCSC Museum of Natural History Collections is a treasure trove for anyone eager to learn about plants, animals, birds, and reptiles, especially those native to the Central Coast of California.
- ROOFTOP GREENHOUSE PROGRAM Jim Velzy (firstname.lastname@example.org)—UCSC Greenhouse Manager. Plants in these greenhouses are primarily used for instruction. They are located on the roof of Thimann Labs and can be accessed by the stairwell at the west end of the building. There are also greenhouses atop the ISB building.
- UCSC SUSTAINABILITY OFFICE—Kerr Hall Shauna Casey, email@example.com
- COMMUNITY AGROECOLOGY NETWORK (CAN)- in The Village Pete Rasmussen (coordinator@
canunite.org) and CAN helps rural communities in Mexico and Central America develop self-sufficiency and sustainable farming practices. We promote integrated approaches to sustainable community development
- FARM PROGRAM, Christof Bernau, firstname.lastname@example.org He is Mr. Everything at the UCSC Farm—teacher, farmer, organizer, harvester…
- LIFE LAB SCIENCE PROGRAM (2:30pm) Amy Carlson, (email@example.com) Garden Education Director-- Life Lab Garden Classroom is a model outdoor classroom designed just for children, where youngsters can explore scientific concepts through garden-based exhibits and activities.
GOALS OF STUDENTS OF ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES:
The following were responses to the question:
“What do you see yourself doing educationally, or job-wise, in 5 years?”
- I want to be working a “green job.” I want to have my own business.
- I see myself as an environmental teacher for young children.
- I would like to be an event planner for an organization that advocates social and global change.
- Working for an organization within the U.N., or going to grad school.
- In 5 years…I am not sure, but eventually I want to own and operate a small-scale farm.
- I see myself working on native plant restoration in South America.
- Teaching…investigating environmental education as a means of healing.
- I’d like to be in the Peace Corps.
- Finishing school for business management and accounting.
- Working overseas helping communities supporting themselves through growing and selling medicinal herbs.
- Working for a non-profit, or government agency, related to water issues.
- I see myself working for AmeriCorps and then either, Fish and Wildlife or the EPA.
- Not sure, but maybe a photographer, teacher, or working with GIS.
- I see myself in grad school studying environmental engineering, and possibly business.
- I love working with children…maybe develop some sort of healthy nutrition program promoting sustainable eating or perhaps create a “fast-food” raw foods drive through restaurant.
- I would like to either go to do grad work in Art, or study architecture.
- I hope to become an environmental journalist.
- I am going to do the agro-ecology Masters Program at the Univ. of Sweden.
- Teaching history.
- In five years I hope to have a BA in environmental studies and a BS in marine bio.
- I hope to have a job on a small farm in Southern California. (San Diego)
- I see myself working for the city as an environmental consultant.
- Doing hands-on research with marine life.
- Pursue a master’s degree in energy efficiency.
- Law school, to become an environmental policy lawyer.
- Working for the USDA in agri-business.
- Working for the Environmental Protection Agency.
- Working with an urban edible landscaping project in San Francisco.
- Being a bicycle mechanic.
- Working with school gardens.
- Green architecture and interior design.
- I would like to own my own restaurant.
- I see myself studying plants or out in the field researching plants.