Awards & Honors
In addition, two UC Santa Cruz professors are among the 10 new fellows elected to the California Academy of Sciences in 2016. They are Karen Holl, professor of environmental studies, and Erika Zavaleta, professor of ecology and evolutionary biology.
- Three UC Santa Cruz Ph.D. candidates have been awarded 2016-2017 fellowships from the American Association of University Women (AAUW).
- The manager of the UC Riverside community garden, who spent two years as an intern with the UC Santa Cruz Center for Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems, is a winner of the inaugural University of California Global Food Initiative 30 Under 30 Awards.
- The National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition (NSAC) has given its “Sustainability Champion” award to environmental studies alumnus Mark Lipson, currently a researcher with UCSC’s Center for Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems.
Barbara Rose Johnston, a UC Santa Cruz lecturer in environmental studies, has been named a winner of the 2015 Anthropology in Public Policy Award from the American Anthropological Association.
- The environmental studies department's current chair, Andrew Szasz, was selected as the recipient of the 2014 Environmental Sociology Teaching and Mentorship Award from the Environment & Technology Section of the American Sociological Association (ASA).
- The Center for Integrated Research (CISR), in partnership with The Nature Conservancy (TNC), was recognized by the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR).
- Karen Washington, a graduate of the 2008 Apprenticeship in Ecological Horticulture at the UC Santa Cruz Center for Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems, is one of five winners of a James Beard Foundation Leadership Award.
- Celia Barss, a 2002 graduate of the Center for Agroecology & Sustainable Food System’s apprenticeship program at UC Santa Cruz, won the 2014 Land Steward Award as Georgia’s organic agriculture community held its 17th annual organics conference.
- Social Sciences Dean Sheldon Kamieniecki presented 10 students with social sciences majors with awards for their senior theses as part of his 2012-2013 undergraduate awards competition.
- Three UC Santa Cruz environmental studies graduate students are among 16 students nationwide awarded sustainable agriculture scholarships from Annie's Homegrown Inc., a natural foods manufacturer and distributor.
- Three Environmental Studies doctoral students have been awarded National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships for 2013.
- Karen Washington, a graduate of the 2008 apprenticeship class at the Center for Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems at UC Santa Cruz, was honored at the annual Black History Month Celebration in the Bronx, N.Y.
- Karen Washington, a 2008 graduate of the apprenticeship class at the Center for Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems at UC Santa Cruz was honored at the White House December 17 for her work with urban gardens in the Bronx.
- Four UC Santa Cruz professors are among 12 new fellows elected to the California Academy of Sciences for 2010.
- Four social scientists at UC Santa Cruz were honored for teaching and research today (Tuesday, October 7) during the annual fall convocation hosted by the dean of the Division of Social Sciences.
- Environmental studies graduate students Timothy Krupnik, Michelle Olsgard, and Anna Zivian have received 2008-2009 Fulbright Awards that will help fund their overseas research.